Thursday, March 25, 2010

Butternut squash ravioli and pierogies - not in the same meal I hope.

So, I promised I would post my amazing (incredibly easy) meal from the other night. Butternut squash ravioli with a home made tomato sauce.
well, I am no chef...and I didn't have hours of life to make pasta from scratch (which I really want to do) so I bought the butternut squash stuffed ravioli from a local health food store.

For the sauce, I just used what I had at home...
1 package grape tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp basil
salt and pepper

In a blender add 2 cups halved grape tomatoes, 2 sliced garlic cloves, dash of olive oil and blend til mildly chunky sauce. In a frying pan add another minced garlic clove and 1/2 cup of chopped onion, a few halved grape tomatoes and fry with a splash of olive oil and vinegar. Then add the sauce and basil. salt and pepper to taste!

Since the pasta was on the sweeter side I wanted to make sure the sauce wasn't too sweet. I thought this was the perfect combination!



The next evening...
VEGAN PIEROGIES! (with vegan sour cream of course!) And you thought it couldn't be done!





Ingredients

Dough:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt

Filling:
6-8 small red potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
soy milk
vegan butter
salt and pepper




Dough:
Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl, and knead until smooth (it will still be kind of sticky).
Let the dough rest in the bowl (covered with a towel) for 30 minutes.
Separate the dough into 2 parts.
Roll one half of the dough until about 1/8" thick.
Cut circles with a cookie cutter or whatever you have that circular!


Filling: (if you know how to make mashed potatoes..you don't need this)
skin potatoes and half them
boil until soft
drain and mash with a potato masher
add soy milk and vegan butter and whip til smooth
in a separate frying pan, add garlic and onion and fry up in olive oil
add to potatoes
add salt and pepper to taste
vegan Sour Cream

Add filling (depending on how big your circles are. Don't put too much, or they will be hard to close.
Fold the circles in half over the filling, and pinch closed. You can also press the edges with a fork to make sure they are sealed really well.
Roll out the other half of the dough, and cut, fill, and seal.
To cook, (do them in batches small enough to fit in your frying pan), boil them for a few minutes,just until they float, and then fry in oil, until brown on either side.



Topped with tofutti sour cream and accompanied by some fresh steamed kale.
This is delicious, even if you're not vegan!




My pup begging with his eyes closed and head on my knee...gets me every time..

I realize neither of these recipes have avocado in them...I just couldn't fit it in anywhere. Next time..

1 comment: