Wednesday, March 17, 2010

READ: Bell Hooks

I feel like I've been absent from my own life lately, let alone from this blog. I have had a million little things running through my brain but cant seem to catch them to put them on paper.
I recently went to NYC to visit some friends and despite the cold (cold cold cold), managed to have a wonderful time. I stepped off the bus in china town at 11am cursing the bus, the smell of piss permeating from the bus, and the whole city in general. But after finding our way through frozen, hurried people and lots of wrong turns to the efterklang show that night, I was enchanted. A friend took us to Foodswings on Grand St, Brooklyn.(if you haven't gone, GO!) Its a vegan "fast food" joint with all the goods..wings, fries, milkshakes, burgers...I had the "chicken parm" sandwich. I could barely roll myself out.



The days to follow were quite pleasant as well...hairdos, duck ponds, boyfriends, and best friends. On our last night we met up with a friend for his birthday at a place called Counter on 1st Ave, a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and although it was very expensive and we were broke by that point, it was totally worth it. The best food I've ever put into my mouth. I ordered the applewood smoked tomato and tofu ravioli.
MoMA didn't disappoint either. Tim Burton was great and showcased all of his movies that I loved growing up. I reminisced, of course. Also, I was unaware of the William Kentridge exhibit going on there as well and it was the highlight of my trip. I felt like I floated through all the different rooms full to the brim of paintings and sketches and videos and installations. Thank you free first fridays at MoMA. Thank you, New York.





These are two of my favorites. William Kentridge.

And a bundled up me, playing amongst duckies.



"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance."
Bell Hooks

1 comment:

  1. LOVE those words from Bell Hooks. And the second Kentridge drawing. On another matter entirely - did you cut your hair short? It looks short in the last picture? And blonde? You are beautiful.
    kbgnc

    ReplyDelete